Woodhouse Prize Band was formed in 1853. The Band was originally called Handsworth Woodhouse, but soon became Woodhouse Band when the two parishes split. The “Prize” was added after winning many contests. We even beat Black Dyke Mills, albeit in the late 1800s!
Shortly after the Band was formed, a family named Cook moved into the village. They immediately got involved in the Band and William Cook became Bandmaster. He was followed by four generations of Cooks each taking up the position.
Graham Cook had been conducting the Band since 1974. Finally, in 2010 he handed the baton over to David Morris. David’s connections with the Band went back many years. Woodhouse was the first Brass Band he ever played with back in the 1980s.
We are very proud of being a village Band. We are totally self supporting and receive no sponsorship of any kind. The Band has a committee overseeing the day to day running.
In 2003 the Band celebrated their 150th birthday. It was a year long celebration and certainly one to remember. To commemorate the occasion, Graham Cook wrote a book “Woodhouse Band – the first 150 years”.
In 2013 for our 160th birthday we decided to make our first CD. We made our own recordings, edited it ourselves, did all our own artwork and had the CD produced in Sheffield… a completely “Made in Sheffield” production.